austra



so yea, this pulse and beat thing (rhymes with pull and bear) attracted my attention (and yes, it's really powerful) and i downloaded (yes) austra's album, and of course read its review on pitchfork which confronted me with kate bush comparisons :) well, for one thing, where did they find kate bush there?.. maybe there is a grain of truth there, which i am still trying to find. still the vocal delivery is so different - it reminds me more of the organ and other indie contemporaries - and yes, bat for lashes and something adjacent to goth was right in terms of the general style. but kate bush? :P still it was nice to hear that because i like kate bush immensely.
in general the album is really really nice, with all that electro spice, and driving rhythms and heartful (should i say heart-broken, or wait?) vocals. nice stuff.

and yeah of course wouldn't the other detail be there, the quote from wikipedia article, that katie (a maybe that's where kate comparisons sprang from), the singer and the leader, identifies herself as queer.

the word queer always brings to my mind that passage, or a scene (as it's a movie and not a book) from "papillon", with that guy saying...

- You're--
- I know.
- I'm a queer, a fairy, a pouf, huh?
.. I'm the only one who can get you out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment